Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Source: Chatelaine Magazine. Once I could not get fresh mint so I substituted mint sauce for the vinegar, sugar and mint and it worked very well
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (15 mL)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (15 mL)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red chili pepper flakes (, 2 mL)
- 2 large ripe mangoes
- 2 red peppers
- 1⁄2 small red onion
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped of fresh mint (, 125 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped coriander leaves (, 125 mL)
- salt (optional)
- Squeeze juice from lime and place 2 tablespoons (30 mL) in a large bowl.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar, sugar and chili flakes until sugar is dissolved.
- Peel mangoes, slice pulp from pit, then cut into julienne strips.
- Slice peppers into similar size julienne strips.
- Combine mangoes and peppers in a bowl.
- Chop onion fine and add along with mint and coriander.
- Taste and add more lime juice or a little salt, if you like.
- Salad is best if it stands at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Salad can be refrigerated for up to 1 day but mint will darken, so add it just before serving.
Delicious. Couldn't get a hold of chili flakes and had to use powder. That worked fine. Also, I know many people use under ripe mangos for this and it is really good as well.
This was a bit HOT! I can`t say if it was my home grown peppers but please do add a bit at a time and taste as you add. The sweetness of the sugar and balsamic helped with the heat. I did add olive oil, used 1 red pepper and cut the herbs down to half. Being this is a mango salad wanted the mango to come through not the herbs!
Wow, what a wonderful salad!! Mint with hot peppers AND balsamic! What could be better for luscious mangos? This salad was a huge hit. A flavor delight. We didn't eat it all, but used the leftovers the next morning as a side to an omlette. It was wonderful with eggs. Really different and good. Thanks for posting this refreshing and delightful salad recipe.