Recipe by johnnie terry
This yummy two crust fruit pie is great to make when mangos are in season. It is inspired by a friend living in Kenya.
- 2 pie crusts
- 6 -8 ripe mangoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- shake salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Press bottom crust into deep dish pie plate, bringing edges over rim.
- Mix sugar and flour together and put 1/3 mixture into bottom crust. Slice mangos along seed, dice meat and scoop out with a spoon in to the pie crust (discard peel). Sprinkle remaining sugar and flour over fruit, shake of salt, lemon juice (optional) and diced butter. Wet rim of crust with milk and add the top crust, folding under the lip of the bottom crust, and crimp edges. Pour remaining milk on top crust and spread with fingers or brush. Sprinkle sugar on top and cut air vents in top crust. I always cut a winking smiley face but each member of my family has their own design (heart, leaves, etc.).
- Place pie in 425 oven for 15 minutes, turn down temp to 350 and bake for 45 minute or until filling bubbles.
- Cool to let the filling thicken up.
- Serve with ice cream if you wish.