A wonderful aroma will fill your home when you make this chutney. An elegant addition to any curry, it is an indispensable side dish for Lentil Sambar. This recipe comes from the Moosewood Restaurant's Low-Fat Favorites cookbook! :)
- 1 large mango, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups fresh peaches or 2 cups frozen peaches, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh green chili peppers, seeded and minced (about 1 tbls.)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Combine all of the chutney ingredients in a nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, stirring ocasionally, until thick and translucent.
- Cool or chill before serving.
- This chutney will keep for several weeks stored in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.
- If you wish, you may can the hot chutney in hot sterilized jelly jars, and seal with hot sterilized lids. No need to cook in a hot water bath, there is enough sugar and vinager to preserve.