Recipe by COOKGIRl
I ripped off Mott's idea and made it my own. Thanks for the inspiration Mott's Company.
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mango chunks (or equivalent amount of fresh mango, sliced, peeled and pitted)
- 1 (16 ounce) package unsweetened frozen peach slices (or equivalent amount of fresh peaches, peeleds, pitted and cut up into chunks)
- 1 lb apple, peeled, seeds removed and cut into chunks
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 1⁄2 piece of whole cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons honey (or 1/4 cup unbleached white sugar)
- 1 lemons, juice of or 1 lime, juice of
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except for almond extract, in crock pot or heavy pan.
- If using crock pot, set control to LOW and simmer 4-6 hours or until fruit is very soft. Remove crockpot cover, discard whole cinnamon stick if using, and if necessary, *mash any chunks of fruit with potato masher.
- Stir in almond extract. Adjust seasoning.
- For stovetop, bring fruit mixture to boil, cover and simmer on low 1 hour or until fruit is very soft. If any fruit chunks remain, *mash with potato masher. (Be sure to remove whole cinnamon stick first.) Stir in almond extract. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve applesauce warm or cold.
- Freezes well.
- *At this point, you could opt to use a hand held immersion blender to puree the fruit.
- Yield: estimated.