Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From California Bicentennial Celebrations Committee Official California Bicentennial Cookbook and found in The Good Cook Salads. Posted for ZWT7. This would be really good with the addition of some grilled shrimp to make it a light meal.
- 3 firm ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 firm ripe papayas, peeled, seeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄4 cup freshly shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Mix fruits well; sprinkle with the coconut and slivered almonds; chill.
- In a small bowl, blend the mayonnaise and lemon juice.
- Top the salad with the dressing just before serving.
This was very nice and refreshing. I really wasn't sure I'd like mayonnaise on the fruit and opted to go with a dollop of greek yoghurt instead, which worked just fine for us and the fruit!
Except for using pre-shredded coconut, I pretty much stuck to the recipe, & both the mango & papaya were nicely ripe & flavorful! A great-tasting & refreshing salad, & I'll be keeping the recipe on hand for making again! Thanks for posting it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
This was a little different from a salad I would usually make, but really wanted to try it. I enjoyed the fruit and textures, the mayo wasn't overpowering. I did add a touch of sugar as my mango and papaya weren't the sweetest. Thanks! Made for ZWT 2001-South Pacicic!