Recipe by SusieQusie
A cool dessert with tropical touches. Coconut crust for crunchy contrast to the smooth filling. Needs at least 4 hours chilling time for the filling to set up so plan ahead.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 2⁄3 cups sweetened flaked coconut (7 ounce package)
- 2 medium ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted & cubed
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup whipped cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Position rack in lowest position.
- Spread butter evenly over bottom & up sides of a glass 9 inch pie plate.
- Sprinkle coconut over bottom & up sides of baking dish, pressing into the butter to form a shell.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until rim is lightly browned (center & sides will just be turing golden brown). Remove from oven & cool completely.
- Place mango in blender or food processor & puree until very smooth. There should be 2 cups of puree. Pour in a large bowl & stir in orange juice.
- In a 1 cup glass measure, add 2 tablespoons cold water. Sprinkle gelatin over water & let soften for 2 minutes then stir. Heat in microwave 10-15 seconds to dissolve gelatin. Stir, set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whip cream with sugar until stiff.
- Add gelatin to mango mixture; stir well. Gently fold in whipped cream till no white streaks remain.
- Pour filling into cooled crust. Garnish with toasted coconut if desired. (see cook's notes).
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- **Cooks note: if desired, measure out 1/3 cup of the coconut for garnish. Spread it in another pan & bake for 6 minutes, stirring once or twice or until browned.