Chef #186948's Note:
An tropical flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated (room temp)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 -5 large ripe mangoes
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1Make sponge cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Lightly butter bottom and side of a 10-inch springform cake pan.
- 3Line bottom of the pan with a circle of baking parchment or waxed paper.
- 4Dust side of the pan with flour and tap out excess.
- 5In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 6Sift flour mixture onto a piece of waxed paper.
- 7In a large bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer set at high speed, beat egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar for 4 to 6 minutes, until batter is pale yellow and forms a thick ribbon.
- 8Beat in vanilla.
- 9Beat egg whites at low speed until frothy.
- 10Gradually increase speed to high and continue beating soft peaks start to form.
- 11One teaspoon at a time, gradually add remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and continue beating whites until they form stiff, shiny peaks.
- 12Scrape 1/3 of whites on top of beaten egg yolks.
- 13Resift 1/3 of flour mixture over whites and fold flour mixture and egg whites into egg yolk mixture, making sure to free any flour that may be clinging to side of the bowl.
- 14One-third at a time, gently fold in remaining whites with 1/3 of resifted flour mixture.
- 15Do not overfold.
- 16Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- 17Bake cake for 8 to 12 minutes, until center springs back when gently touched.
- 18Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- 19Remove from pan and cool completely.
- 20Make the mango mousse: Put water in a small heatproof cup.
- 21Sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand for 5 minutes to soften.
- 22Place cup with softened gelatin in a saucepan with enough water to come halfway up side of cup.
- 23Heat gelatin mixture in hot, not simmering water.
- 24Stir gelatin mixture frequently for 2 to 3 minutes, until gelatin granules dissolve completely and mixture is clear.
- 25Remove pan from heat.
- 26Leave cup containing gelatin mixture in hot water to keep gelatin warm until ready to use.
- 27Peel mangoes and cut fruit away from pit.
- 28Cut fruit into large chunks.
- 29Combine half of mango chunks with 1/2 cup of sugar in bowl of a food processor.
- 30Process mangoes for 40 to 60 seconds, until pureed.
- 31Transfer pureed mangoes to a large saucepan.
- 32Repeat with remaining mangoes and 1/2 cup of sugar.
- 33Cook the mango mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until warm.
- 34Remove saucepan from the heat.
- 35Add the gelatin mixture and vanilla and whisk until blended.
- 36Transfer mango mixture to a large bowl and cool to room temperature.
- 37In a chilled large bowl, beat the heavy cream and sour cream until mixture forms soft peaks.
- 38Fold 1/3 of whipped cream into mango mixture to lighten it.
- 39Fold in remaining whipped cream.
- 40Assemble cake: Remove side from a 10-by-3-inch springform pan.
- 41Trim a 12-inch cardboard circle so that it fits snugly within curved lip of bottom of springform pan.
- 42Reattach side of springform pan.
- 43Remove paper circle from bottom of cake.
- 44Spread raspberry jam in an even layer over top of cake.
- 45Place cake layer in bottom of prepared pan.
- 46Scrape mango mousse over cake layer and smooth it into an even layer.
- 47Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- 48Unmold cake: Using a portable blow dryer or damp very hot towel, carefully heat outside of springform pan until edge of mousse melts slightly.
- 49Release clamp on side of springform pan and gently lift it up and remove it from around side of the cake.
- 50Defrost cake in refrigerator for at least 3 hours, until ready to decorate.
- 51Decorate cake: Spread toasted almonds on a piece of waxed paper.
- 52Set aside 28 of best almond halves to garnish cake.
- 53Lift cake up on cardboard cake circle, supporting bottom of cake in one hand.
- 54Scoop up almonds and gently press them against side of cake, working around cake until side is completely covered.
- 55Put cake on a serving plate.
- 56In a chilled small bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer set at medium speed, beat cream with the sugar until stiff peaks begin to form.
- 57Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large closed star tip (such as Ateco#4) with whipped cream.
- 58Pipe 14 rosettes around top edge of cake.
- 59Garnish each rosette with 2 toasted almond slices.
- 60Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.
- 61by Lisa Morley, chef and owner of A Sweet Affair in Naples, Florida, in the Chocolatier Recipe Collection on the WorldWideWeb.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mango Mousse Cake
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.7
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 85.2 mg
- Sodium 58.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 28.9 g
- Protein 4.9 g