Recipe by KateL
Entered for Safe-keeping, these are very Cinco de Mayo festive. From woman's World 8/2/10. Cooling time was excluded from preparation time; estimate total elapsed time to be 2 hours, 5 minutes.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made these for sharing with a neighbor couple & must say they are very tasty little cakes! We had ours with a bit of ice cream that was topped with a little homemade mango sauce, & absolutely loved it served that way! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 1 1⁄2 mangoes, peeled, pitted
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 ounces mango baby food (1/3 cup)
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- light green decorator sugar, for garnish (optional)
- 12 lime slices, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 12 muffin cups with cupcake lines.
- Dice mango; reserve.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- On medium speed, beat granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs and mango baby food; beat until blended.
- On low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Stir in diced mango and 1 teaspoon lime zest.
- Divide batter among liners. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes. Transfer from pan to rack; cool completely.
- On medium speed, beat remaining 1 cup butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- On low speed, gradually beat in confectioners' sugar.
- Beat in milk and remaining 1 teaspoon lime zest; beat on medium speed until fluffy.
- If desired, transfer frosting to pastry bag fitted with medium round tip; pipe or spread frosting on cupcakes.
- Cut remaining 1/2 mango into small thin wedges.
- If desired, sprinkle cupcake edges with green sugar. Garnish with mango, lime and cocktail umbrellas, if desired.