Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Cooking Light - posted here for safe-keeping. Instead of the meringue topping, two cups of whipped cream can be spread over top as a substitution.
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, baked and cooled
- 1 cup mango nectar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice (about 4 limes)
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- grated lime rind (for garnish)
- To prepare filling:.
- Combine nectar and next 5 ingredients (nectar through eggs) in a large saucepan, stirring with a whisk.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter and 2 teaspoons rind.
- Spoon mango mixture into a bowl; place bowl in a large ice-filled bowl for 10 minutes or until mango mixture comes to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bowl from ice; spoon mango mixture into prepared crust.
- Cover and chill 8 hours or until firm.
- To prepare meringue:.
- Place egg whites and salt in a large bowl.
- Beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and water in a saucepan; bring to boil.
- Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 238 degrees.
- Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over filling; garnish with rind, if desired.