Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A friend gave this to me and I looked at her like she had lost her marbles, thinking to myself the whole time, "this has to be disgusting". Well, you know me....if I don't believe in something I usually have to try it to prove myself right. Boy, was I wrong on this one. The lime doesn't overpower, but blends really well with the mango and the bread. Also, it is not fried, but baked in the oven so it is better for you.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup mango juice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 16 slices bread (white or whole wheat)
- 2 mangoes, sliced
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In small bowl, combine butter, honey and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; mix well.
- Pour butter mixture evenly into 2 ungreased 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pans.
- In medium bowl, slightly beat eggs. Add milk, mango juice, sugar, lime peel, salt and ½ teaspoon cinnamon; mix well.
- Dip bread in egg mixture.
- Place on top of butter mixture in pans.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes and turn slices over.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Arrange on serving platter with mango and lime slices.
How about that! What a great new way to serve up french toast! It's a great blend of flavors & well worth the time to make! When possible I use my favorite winter wheat bread & did so this time, as well! OUTSTANDING, & definitely a keeper! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]