Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
From USA WEEKEND magazine runners-up recipies.
- 20 ounces tilapia fillets
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 3 roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 lime, zest of
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Preheat to oven to 400°F.
- Prepare salsa first, so that the flavors can combine and mellow. In a medium sized glass bowl, combine mango, onion, avocado, tomatoes, lime zest, jalapeño, ginger, cilantro, and salt. Stir well and set aside at room temperature.
- In a shallow baking dish, combine orange zest, orange juice, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Pat tilapia fillets dry on a paper towel. Place them in the baking dish and turn to coat them in the seasoning mixture. Arrange tilapia in a single layer and bake 10 - 12 minutes, or until fish flake easily.
- Serve cooked fillets with prepared salsa.
The fish by itself was not good. The mango salsa saved the meal, but I prefer the fish to be edible by itself, and I just didn't like this. I love fish, but this just didn't quite live up to expectations. I wish I had stuck with my mango salsa from snapper with mango salsa, and used those spices on the fish. I don't think I'll make this again. Sorry