Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Posted in Response to Caribbean request. This This chutney-like Trinidadian relish is commonly served with the street food called doubles and curried dishes of all types, as well as with Pelau. Ripe mangoes are never used in kucheela
- 2 cups grated meat green mangoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 habaneros, minced (or congo peppers seeded stems removed)
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup mustard oil, more
- mustard oil, for texture (can substitute vegetable oil)
- Squeeze as much juice as possible out of the grated mango meat, then spread it on a cookie sheet and place in the oven at 250 degrees F. Cook for two hours, or until the meat has dried out.
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well. Store in sterilized jars in the refrigerator.