Recipe by jimnyo
A tweaked version of a recipe from About.com. If you're lazy (or just want to eat this sooner!) like me , you can skip the overnight marinating step and just start with simmering the mango with the sugar. Also, if you like a stronger mango flavor, try reducing the amount of half and half (I used 3-1/4 cups)...
- 2 cups fresh mango (2 - 4 mangoes)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 -3 tablespoons lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 -3 tablespoons toasted coconut, as garnish (optional)
- 2 -3 sprigs mint, as garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, cut and score the mango fruit, cutting into bite-sized pieces. Stir in 1/2 cup of sugar. Cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day, in a saucepan over medium-low to low heat, simmer the mango pieces with the sugar syrup. Cook for 5 minutes, then remove and cool.
- Puree the mango and sugar syrup mixture in a blender or food processor. Add the lime juice & zests and process again. Combine with half and half, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and the vanilla extract. Cover and chill for four hours.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer's directions. When frozen, pack the ice cream in a clear plastic container. Let soften slightly in the refrigerator before serving. Garnish with the toasted coconut and mint sprigs if desired.