Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From a February 2006 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. What an interesting concept!
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped lightly salted dry-roasted macadamia nuts
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb ripe mango, peeled and pitted
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- For streusel: Stir all ingredients in small bowl to blend.
- For gingerbread: Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit. Grease a 9x9x2-inch metal baking pan. Whisk first 6 ingredients in medium bowl to blend.
- Coarsely puree mangoes in food processor. Transfer 1 c mango puree to large bowl (reserve any remaining puree for another use).
- Add buttermilk, oil, and eggs to puree; whisk until blended. Add flour mixture; stire just until combined.
- Transfer half of batter (about 2 cups) to prepared pan. Sprinkle half of streusel over. Spoon remaining batter over, smooth evenly with spatula, then sprinkle with remaining streusel.
- Bake bread until springy to touch and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool completely in pan on rack. Cut bread into 9 squares and serve. Leftovers can be covered and stored at room temperature for 8 hours.