Recipe by SusieQusie
_Recipezaar_ has turned me into an ingredient scavenger. ;-) Seriously - when shopping, if I spy an unusual-to-me ingredient, I buy it (in this case the mango puree in the freezer case). Then comes the task of finding ways to use it. This simple recipe was adapted from a Daisy Martinez episode aired on PBS. Cook time includes 3 1/2 hours freeer time.
Top Review by Jostlori
Amazing!!! This is such an easy recipe! It is so good that when I was checking for taste (before freezing) I couldn't help myself... I poured a bit in a glass and drank it! Towards the end, I thought about adding a splash of dark rum and wowzer, it was good!!!
I followed the recipe, except that I didn't use grated ginger. I use ginger alot, so I always have ginger juice in my fridge (chopped peeled ginger, a bit of water in blender, then strained). So I used about two teaspoons of ginger juice. This recipe is a definite keeper. Thanks, SusieQusie!
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) packagepureed mangoes, thawed if previously frozen (or 2 large mangoes, pureed)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated gingerroot
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the sugar in the water.
- Stir in the mango puree, lime juice, and ginger.
- Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Scrape into a container, seal tightly and let firm up in the freezer for about 3 hours before serving.