As I continue to enter dessert recipes from our recent cruise, I am seeing a definite & freq trend for make-ahead combos using fruits w/a custard. This recipe from *Carnival Creations* by Cyrus Marfatia (Exec Chef of Carnival Cruise Lines) takes us to the far-eastern cuisines of India, Malaysia & Thailand. Altho the recipe suggests the French influence of Napoleon Brandy, my DH would look upon that as a "sinful waste" & I will use a more std cooking brandy. (Times have been estimated & do not include cooling times) *Enjoy* !
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup mango puree (Tip - 1 ripe med mango will yield about 3/4 cup puree)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 4 egg yolks (lightly beaten)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brandy (Napoleon suggested)
- 1 pie shell (9-inch, frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a sml saucepan, bring sugar, milk & whipping cream to a slow boil over med-heat. Remove from heat & cool slightly.
- Add mango puree, eggs, egg yolks + brandy & whisk till all ingredients are completely mixed together.
- Strain mixture into pie shell, bake 30-35 min or till custard is set, cool completely & refrigerate till ready to serve.
- TO SERVE: In a sml bowl, beat whipping cream & powd sugar till stiff. Cut pie into 8 slices & place on serving dishes. Pipe a whipped cream rosette on ea slice & serve immediately.