Recipe by Sharon123
A $400 winner in the tropical fruit category for Better Homes & Gardens, March 1997. Yum!
Top Review by Pasta-Bella
This pie was a huge hit at our family birthday party! Everyone loved it and also commented on how pretty it was. The glaze was so pretty at the end that I did not garnish w/ reserved mango slices or extra nuts, it was so pretty just as it was. I found mango nectar at the store, so used that instead of the peach. I also forgot to get macadamia nuts, so used both hazelnuts and almonds in the crust. The crust was definitely a drier pastry dough than I'm used to working with when making a pie, but it turned out very nice. After rolling it out, it was too dry to be able to transfer as is to the pie plate, so I took small pieces and pressed them into the pie plate. It worked fine and the end result after baking and filling was yummy. A wonderful pie and we all enjoyed it immensely, sadly, there's not much left over to enjoy tomorrow! I'll have to get up early and have some for breakfast!
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 cup white flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 2 large mangoes, seeded, peeled, and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 3⁄4 cup peach nectar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- chopped toasted macadamia nuts (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread the 1/2 cup nuts in a baking pan and toast in a 350°F oven for 5-10 minutes or until golden, stirring once or twice. Cool. In a medium mixing bowl combine flour and toasted nuts; cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Add egg; stir until combine. Form into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to about 1/8" thickness. Line a 9-inch pie plat with pastry. Fold edge under and flute. Prick well. Bake in a 350°F oven about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- In a bowl beat together cream cheese and powdered sugar. Stir in 1 tbs of the cream. Beat remaining cream until soft peaks form; fold into cheese mixture. Spread in pie shell. Overlap mango slices in circles on top, reserving a few mango slices for garnish.
- In a saucepan combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, and orange peel. Stir in peach nectar and lemon juice. Cook and stir till thick and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Spoon mixture evenly over mango slices. Chill 3-6 hours. Garnish with reserved mango slices and chopped nuts.