Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Posted for the Zaar World Tour-Caribbean. From the "Best of International Cooking" cookbook. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it sounds light and refreshing for those hot summer days. Note: prep time includes refrigeration time.
- 2 large ripe mangoes or 3 medium ripe mangoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons grated chocolate or 2 tablespoons chocolate shavings
- Peel mangoes and cut flesh from pit; finely dice half of the fruit.
- In a blender or food processor, puree remaining fruit, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup sugar.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining 1 Tablespoon sugar and salt until stiff but not dry. In another bowl, whip cream until stiff. Gently fold beaten egg whites into whipped cream. Fold in mango puree, then fold in diced mango. Spoon into a serving bowl or individual dessert dishes; refrigerate 30 minutes. To serve, decorate with chocolate.
- Variation: As an interesting change of flavor, substitute freshly squeezed lime juice for the lemon juice. The delicate lime flavor blends well with mangoes.
Outstanding! Easy, elegant and utterly delicious. I used only one tablespoon sugar because we don't like it very sweet and the mango was very sweet already, but otherwise followed the recipe to the letter. Thanks for sharing!<br/>Made for ZWT 9 / Caribbean for The Apron String Travelers
I made this in a bowl and took this to a friends house, for a potluck. It disappeared very quickly, and everyone kept praising it. It was another easy to make recipe.