Recipe by Loveblumes
I love ice-cream but not the fuss of making a custard base. I combined 2 different recipes and added saffron to come up with a tropical, exotic, decadent delight! You can leave out the toasted coconut and/or saffron if you like, but why would you???!!! You can find canned mango pulp in East Indian markets. Fresh, sweet pureed mangoes would also work, I imagine. If you go that route, add about 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice.
- 12 ounces heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4-1 cup mango pulp or 3⁄4-1 cup mango puree
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Malibu rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 -4 saffron threads (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup coconut, lightly toasted in a dry skillet or sauce pan (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small sauce pan, warm 1 cup heavy cream, do not boil. Add the saffron strands if using. The cream will take on a pretty yellow-orangeish color. Add the sugar and stir just until sugar is dissolved. In a medium bowl whisk all other ingredients together. Stir or whisk in the saffron infused cream. Cover and chill completely in refrigerator (all day or over night, preferably). Freeze in ice-cream maker and enjoy immediately or when firm. Tip: after it firms up, remove from freezer about 5 minutes before scooping so it is easier to scoop. Delicious!