Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I modified a version I found on the web and took it up a notch. My DH loves Mango and Coconut. Very nice for hot Ramadan night!
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup mango juice (I used Naked brand)
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use trader joes alcohol free)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted sweetened flaked coconut (to garnish) (optional)
- 1 cup chopped mango, pieces (fresh or frozen)
- Whisk sugar with 2 cups Milk and 1 cup Half and Half on medium heat until warm and sugar dissolved.
- Add 1 tsp Vanilla Extract.
- In a separate bowl whisk Corn Starch with 1 cup of Coconut milk and 1 cup of Mango Juice to incorporate. Then, add it slowly to Sugar-milk mixture while stirring quickly until it starts to thicken. I like to keep the heat on medium and just be patient for it to thicken rather than turn up the heat and burn the cornstarch.
- * It is very, very important to whisk quickly and scrape the bottom of the pot with the whisk to make sure the cornstarch isn't sticking.
- At this time you can add Mango pieces fresh or frozen and let them break down into the custard.
- Turn heat down to low. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Take mixture off heat and wait until the temperature goes down a little.
- You’re almost done. Pour the Mehalabeya into individual dessert dishes.
- Let cool on counter then top with Toasted Coconut and wrap each dish with saran wrap and place in fridge to chill and firm up.
- * Serve with more fresh Mango if you like.
- Refrigerate and Serve Mahalabiya cold.