Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe if from the Moosewood Restaurant Cookbook. They say "Refreshing and versatile are the best words to describe this tropical melange. It can be a side dish or a salsa, and it pairs beautifully with Caribbean, Mexican, Brazilian, African, Thai, or Indian cuisine."
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced fresh chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, minced
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, chile, lemon and lime juice, brown sugar, coconut, mango, and bell pepper.
- Toss well.
- Cover and chill for 20 minutes and serve cold.
- Just before serving, top with cilantro or spearmint.
One statement for this salad.Delicious!
Refreshing, deliciouse and easy! I added some red pepper flakes to kick it up a bit....could have been done with more fresh hot peppers. Since I had lovely, unwaxed English cukes, I did not peel them.
This was very simple and it tasted great. I made it once without the hot peppers, amd canned mangos, don't. Fresh mangos were superior and it needs the little extra kick of the peppers. I also use about 1/2 the sugar. This is a very refreshing and pretty salad.