Spice Boy's Note:
This is not a traditional curry by any stretch. In fact, I came up with the recipe when I was overdue for a visit to the grocery store and I just used what I had on hand. It ended up being so good, I've made it again and again. Feel free to use whatever vegetables you have on hand (frozen, fresh, or leftover).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or canola oil)
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into cubes
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced into half-rings
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips (or 1/2 of a regular-sized pepper)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less according to your taste)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (or 1 t. powdered)
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk (I like Chaokoh brand)
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1 ripe mango
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup frozen green beans, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- steamed rice, for serving
- 1In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and saute until slightly softened, 4 - 5 minutes.
- 2While the onion and pepper are cooking, remove the flesh from the mango and puree it in a blender or food processor along with the chicken broth. Set the mango mixture aside.
- 3To the onion, add the garlic, ginger, Garam Masala, tumeric, and cayenne, and saute for another 2 minutes, stirring.
- 4Add the coconut milk, mango mixture, sugar, and salt to the pot, stirring to combine. Bring to a low boil and allow the mixture to to boil and thicken for about 15 minutes. (If it splatters, you can cover it partially.).
- 5Add the chicken and frozen vegetables to the simmering liquid. Simmer until the chicken in cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes more.
- 6Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mango-Coconut Chicken Curry
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.0
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 47.0 mg
- Sodium 431.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 69.0 g
- Protein 19.8 g