Tropical Bread pudding topped with a rich buttery rum sauce. The bread will be crusty on top and soft inside.
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 4 tablespoons dark rum, split for soaking raisins and for sauce
- 1⁄2 ounce unsweetened butter
- 8 cups diced challah
Egg Mixture ingredients
- 1 large mango, peeled cored and diced
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1⁄2 vanilla bean, scraped from pod
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Rum Sauce ingredients
- 3 1⁄2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon flaked coconut
- mango, slices
- Soak raisins in rum for 15 minutes then strain reserving rum for sauce.
- Butter a 9x11 casserole pan with 1/2 ounce butter.
- Place bread cubes in prepared pan top with raisins.
- Process in a food processor the egg mixture ingredients till smooth. Pour over bread, cover with plastic wrap and let soak for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven 350. Bake for 40 minutes top with 1 tablespoon coconut and bake 5-10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the butter add 1 cup brown sugar and cream stir till dissolved. Add rum that was used to soak raisins.
- Serve pudding hot with lots of sauce and garnish with sliced mango.
This was very good, but I think I must be a traditionalist. I prefer plain old bread pudding. But that said, my family devoured this and fought over who was taking home the leftover piece. I had raisin cinnamon bread in the freezer so that is what I used.
I used fresh ginger. This is a really good recipe. Moist and tasty. The rum sauce had no rum, so I added it. The sauce is VERY carmelly. I used commercial dinner rolls that would have gone stale before I could use them all.
I hadn't heard of challah before seeing it in this recipe. Unfortunately I wasn't able to buy any so substituted brioche instead (which I found suggested as an alternative eleswhere on the Internet). I loved the fact that this was so easy to make; I made the egg mixture in advance then came back to it when I was ready. This made 6 large portions and we enjoyed it hot one day and cold the following two nichts.