Recipe by KelBel
From Cooking Light. Posted here for safekeeping. Time includes 1 hour for soaking bread and standing after cooking.
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 6 slices day-old cubed French bread
- 2 cups diced peeled ripe mangoes (1/2 pound)
- cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup mango nectar or 1⁄3 cup apricot nectar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 (5 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare bread pudding, combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in bread and mango. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Pour mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes or until set. Let stand 30 minutes before serving.
- To prepare sauce, combine sugar and nectar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter. Combine the cornstarch and evaporated milk in a small bowl.
- Add cornstarch mixture to nectar mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Serve warm over bread pudding.