Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I ranked this #1 in 2005 when I had a bumper crop.
- 1 lb mango, finely chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 2 ounces dates, dried
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1 lb sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom seed, crushed
- 2 ounces raisins
- 1 ounce pistachio nut (optional)
- 2 ounces almonds, toasted (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh
- Put mango in a stainless steel pot. Add water bay and salt. Cover and simmer until the mango starts to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, simmer dates in vinegar until soft. Remove dates and chop finely. Make a syrup with the remaining vinegar and sugar.
- Add mango, dates and all spices. Cook until it becomes a thick puree.
- Add nuts and lemon juice. Simmer gently till thick.
- Cool and bottle.