There are a few of these up, but this one is a little bit different - and there is no curry in it. It's actually a little bit healthy - and of course you can make alterations to make it even more so. I'm curious to know what this would taste like with chickpeas instead of chicken...DO use the brown rice. It will NOT be the same with white.I'm kind of guessing about the yield. It makes a lot, I know that! It's great with crackers or on a nice bed of greens. Cooking time does NOT include chilling (although I just ate some while it was still warm...still tastes great)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup mango chutney (Major Grey's, homemade, etc, I use JustJanS' www.recipezaar.com/23146)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (drained with a cheesecloth or with a sieve lined with paper towels, you can also use any combination) or 1 cup yogurt (drained with a cheesecloth or with a sieve lined with paper towels, you can also use any combination)
- 5 -7 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, coarsely chopped
- lemon juice
- 1 -2 cup red grapes
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1If using yogurt in place of mayo, you must drain it or it will be way to watery (perhaps you could use Greek style yogurt without draining). I use a fine mesh sieve lined with about 3 layers of paper towels. Add about 1.5 cups of yogurt to end up with a cup of drained yogurt. Allow it to drain for at least an hour - you'll be surprised how much water comes out - and how thick the yogurt gets!
- 2Combine chutney and mayo or yogurt in small bowl, set aside.
- 3Cook rice according to instructions (This will be about 1 cup of uncooked brown rice, maybe a little more. Don't worry if it's not exactly 2 cups.).
- 4Chop the pecans and toast them - either put them on a baking sheet and place them in the oven, stirring occasionally, until fragrant or do it on the stove top in a frying pan.
- 5Chop the apple and place in large bowl, the one you will put the whole salad in, and add the juice of the half lemon (just put something on the apples so they don't turn brown).
- 6Chop the celery, green onions. Dump them in with the apples.
- 7Optional: half or slice the grapes - I leave them whole, I think they're nice that way. Dump them in the bowl.
- 8Cut up and cook chicken breasts. Again, you could bake these, boil them, cook them on the stove top, whatever floats your boat. I just put some salt and pepper on them and throw them in a frying pan. Dump this in the bowl.
- 9Add the mayo/yogurt and chutney mixture and stir to combine.
- 10Refrigerate before serving (if you can wait that long). The flavors will develop over time. Nice cold or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mango Chutney Chicken Salad
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 531.5
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 87.5 mg
- Sodium 368.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 28.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: