Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
There are a few of these up, but this one is a little bit different - and there is no curry in it. It's actually a little bit healthy - and of course you can make alterations to make it even more so. I'm curious to know what this would taste like with chickpeas instead of chicken...DO use the brown rice. It will NOT be the same with white.I'm kind of guessing about the yield. It makes a lot, I know that! It's great with crackers or on a nice bed of greens. Cooking time does NOT include chilling (although I just ate some while it was still warm...still tastes great)
- 1⁄2 cup mango chutney (Major Grey's, homemade, etc, I use JustJanS' www.recipezaar.com/23146)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (drained with a cheesecloth or with a sieve lined with paper towels, you can also use any combination) or 1 cup yogurt (drained with a cheesecloth or with a sieve lined with paper towels, you can also use any combination)
- 5 -7 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, coarsely chopped
- lemon juice
- 1 -2 cup red grapes
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- If using yogurt in place of mayo, you must drain it or it will be way to watery (perhaps you could use Greek style yogurt without draining). I use a fine mesh sieve lined with about 3 layers of paper towels. Add about 1.5 cups of yogurt to end up with a cup of drained yogurt. Allow it to drain for at least an hour - you'll be surprised how much water comes out - and how thick the yogurt gets!
- Combine chutney and mayo or yogurt in small bowl, set aside.
- Cook rice according to instructions (This will be about 1 cup of uncooked brown rice, maybe a little more. Don't worry if it's not exactly 2 cups.).
- Chop the pecans and toast them - either put them on a baking sheet and place them in the oven, stirring occasionally, until fragrant or do it on the stove top in a frying pan.
- Chop the apple and place in large bowl, the one you will put the whole salad in, and add the juice of the half lemon (just put something on the apples so they don't turn brown).
- Chop the celery, green onions. Dump them in with the apples.
- Optional: half or slice the grapes - I leave them whole, I think they're nice that way. Dump them in the bowl.
- Cut up and cook chicken breasts. Again, you could bake these, boil them, cook them on the stove top, whatever floats your boat. I just put some salt and pepper on them and throw them in a frying pan. Dump this in the bowl.
- Add the mayo/yogurt and chutney mixture and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate before serving (if you can wait that long). The flavors will develop over time. Nice cold or at room temperature.
I made this using left over chicken thighs for lunch the next day. I'm not usually a big chicken salad fan, but this was really tasty. I liked the contrasts in flavors and textures. A keeper! Made for Spring 2009, PAC.