Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is the last of 3 recipes featuring Indian cuisine that I found in 1 of my Grandparents.com Newsletters. Mango chutney was described as the ultimate in Indian condiments & excellent w/grilled meats (sauces too I have recently discovered). Best of all is that it's so easy to make in a std slow cooker. This recipe comes from Anupy Singla’s fabulous cookbook The Indian Slow Cooker: 50 Healthy, Easy, Authentic Recipes & she added that it's good just mixed w/basmati rice as a side-dish. I allowed 15 min for ingredient prep, but there is no other real prep. I suggest you make this recipe to enjoy w/the Indian dishes you'll be making during the Tour. :-)
- 5 mangoes (ripe, peeled, pitted & chopped, about 3 cups)
- 1 piece ginger (2-inch, peeled & grated or pureed)
- 4 garlic cloves (peeled & minced or grated)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3-inch)
- 6 cloves
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 3⁄8 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- Put everything in the slow cooker & mix well (A 3 1/2 qt sized slow cooker was recommended).
- Cook on high for 6 hrs, until the mixture thickens. Serve on the side of Indian dishes.
Easy peasy yes! I do expect raisins and onions in chutney but didn't miss it. I would have liked more spice. Next time I`ll kick it up. But I did like the fact that it wasn't too sweet. Made the the Lively Lemon Lovelies. Namaste