A recipe given to me by a friend many years ago. I used to make it as a condiment for curries, but now prefer it with meat loaf, cold meats or on sandwiches.
- Peel the mangoes and cut into small pieces, set aside.
- Place the sugar and all but 20ml of the vinegar in a pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place the ginger, garlic and remaining vinegar in a food processor or blender and work to a paste.
- Add to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring.
- Add the mango and remaining ingredients, and cook uncovered for 25 minutes, stirring as the chutney thickens.
- Watch it carefully, as it can catch at this stage!
- Pour into sterilized jars, seal with cellophane covers and label.
- The chutney will keep for several months, but it doesn't last that long in our house.