Recipe by JustJanS
A recipe given to me by a friend many years ago. I used to make it as a condiment for curries, but now prefer it with meat loaf, cold meats or on sandwiches.
Top Review by Paauhau Girl
I just wanted to note that some of us are not metricly inclined! (Ha-ha) Here in Hawaii we use just standard good ole American measurements. So for the mangos its is roughly 2 1/2 lbs. and for the vinegar its roughly 2 1/2 cups. Took some mental home work for this 45 year old to figure this out. FYI
- 1 kg very firm mango
- 2 cups sugar
- 625 ml vinegar
- 1 (5 cm) piece ginger, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 -4 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 8 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup sultana
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the mangoes and cut into small pieces, set aside.
- Place the sugar and all but 20ml of the vinegar in a pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place the ginger, garlic and remaining vinegar in a food processor or blender and work to a paste.
- Add to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring.
- Add the mango and remaining ingredients, and cook uncovered for 25 minutes, stirring as the chutney thickens.
- Watch it carefully, as it can catch at this stage!
- Pour into sterilized jars, seal with cellophane covers and label.
- The chutney will keep for several months, but it doesn't last that long in our house.