Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Don't let all the ingredients fool you, this is so easy to make, just simmer all ingredients, cool and enjoy! This has a sweet and hot taste, it is an excellent recipe for chutney, and goes wonderful with chicken dishes. Plan ahead this needs to be refrigerated overnight before cooking. You can store it in the fridge for a couple of days or for longer storage you can process and can (see note on bottom). This is one of those recipes that you either love or hate, we happen to really like this at our house, I hope you do to!
- 6 mangoes, peel and chopped
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 6 minced fresh garlic cloves
- 4 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups raisins
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded carrots
- 12 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped (3 pounds)
- Combine ALL ingredients in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The following day, put the mixture in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until "syrupy".
- Let cool, then refrigerate and use within a couple of days.
- **NOTE** for longer storage, ladle the hot chutney into hot clean pint or half-pint canning jars with a new two-piece canning lid (leaving about 1/4-inch head space).
- Seal the jars with the two piece canning lid.
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes; cool, label and store the jars.
The spicing is very nice, however, for me this was more an apple chutney than a mango chutney. Your recipes are very, very good and again, the spicing is lovely but I would not recommend this as a MANGO chutney.