A light and refreshing entree salad inspired by a Weight Watchers recipe. But don't let this meal's origin stop you from trying this. If mango is not available, then peaches and peach nectar should also work well. I have presented two ways to prepare the dressing, a simple vinagrette and a warmer version thickened with cornstarch. For those following the Flex Program, the salad is 4 points per serving. For Core folks, the salad is Core plus 1 point for the non-Core dressing.
- 2⁄3 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups Baby Spinach
- 2 medium mangoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small cucumber
- 1⁄2 large sweet red peppers or 1⁄2 red onion
- 1⁄3 cup mango nectar
- 2 teaspoons honey mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon water (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
- Stir together all of the ingredients for the dressing. Set aside if you want a cold (thinner) dressing.
- If you want a thicker dressing, place the dressing in a small sauce pan and simmer until it is about to boil. Mix water and cornstarch together into a slurry and add to dressing. Mix until it just begins to thicken.
- Transfer the dressing (warm or cold) into a large bowl.
- Heat broth with ground ginger in a small nonstick skillet. Season chicken to taste with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cover and simmer is cooked through, about 8 minutes per side. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Clean spinach. Dice the red pepper (if using) into 1/2 inch pieces. If using the red onion, slice very thin into half moon shapes. Peel the cucumber and half lengthwise. Cut into 1/4 inch thick slices. Add all vegetables to the large bowl with dressing and toss to coat. Transfer to serving bowl or plates.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and toss with any dressing left in the bowl. Arrange dressed chicken over the salad.
I love these flavors! I let my husband build his own salad since I wasn't sure he would go for fruit, spinach, and chicken together, but he loved it. The dressing is wonderful and versatile, too.
I especially loved the combination of the mangos and spinach. I used an orange pepper and used the directions for the thinner dressing. I think next time I will decrease the amount of curry powder in the dressing as it covered the flavor of the mango juice. Overall a wonderful salad!