Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Traditional dish from Western Samoa. Use the leftover chicken backs and neck to make stock. As seen in Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Mary Enig ans Sally Fallon.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Strew onions in a large baking dish.
- Arrange mango slices in a layer on onions and place chicken pieces(breasts, legs and thighs) skin side up over mango.
- Mix coconut oil, salt, pepper, paprika, nutmeg, and lemon rind in a small bowl and brush on chicken pieces.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until chicken is nicely browned.
- Remove chicken and mango slices to a serving platter.
- Pour chicken stock into the dish and bring to a boil over high heat, scraping up coagulated juices.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring in lemon juice and coconut milk.
- Strain into a small saucepan and continue to simmer to thicken.