Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Traditional dish from Western Samoa. Use the leftover chicken backs and neck to make stock. As seen in Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Mary Enig ans Sally Fallon.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Strew onions in a large baking dish.
- Arrange mango slices in a layer on onions and place chicken pieces(breasts, legs and thighs) skin side up over mango.
- Mix coconut oil, salt, pepper, paprika, nutmeg, and lemon rind in a small bowl and brush on chicken pieces.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until chicken is nicely browned.
- Remove chicken and mango slices to a serving platter.
- Pour chicken stock into the dish and bring to a boil over high heat, scraping up coagulated juices.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring in lemon juice and coconut milk.
- Strain into a small saucepan and continue to simmer to thicken.