Recipe by QueenJellyBean
We had a Luau potluck over the weekend and these bars were brought by a friend. She got the recipe out of a church cookbook from Hawaii. These were served warm almost like an apple crisp and I think a scoop of ice cream would have been perfect...they were more like a dessert when served warm but more of a "bar" when cooled.
Top Review by Amberngriffinco
Thought they were like Lemon Squares, but these have an oatmeal topping... DS said they tasted more like a cobbler.. very very good! I easily halved the recipe and it came out wonderfully! (not a dieter food, lol)
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 2⁄3 cups butter or 1 2⁄3 cups margarine, divided
- 4 cups mangoes, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups quick oats
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In a bowl, combine 2 c of the flour with 1/2 c sugar. Cut in 1 c of butter. Press into 13x9 pan. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan, combine mangoes with water, lemon juice and 3/4 c sugar. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender over medium heat. Combine cornstarch with 3 tbsp water and then stir into mango mixture. Cook until thickened. Cool slightly and pour over prepared crust.
- Combine oats, 1/4 c flour and 1/2 c sugar. Cut in remaining 2/3 c butter. Sprinkle over fruit layer.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Serve warm like apple crisp or cool and cut into bars.