Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is a pretty fancy cake if you ask me. Make it for something special, when you want to impress. It is really very good. Out of the ordinary, fabulous in the summertime. The mango curd needs to be made ahead of time, the night before.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed, ripe banana
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temp
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 15 ounces ripe mangoes
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- mango, peeled,pitted,thinly sliced
- fresh mint sprig
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Lightly butter 3 8" cake pans and dust with flour, tap out excess.
- Whisk first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl to blend.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and egg yolk in a large bowl until well blended.
- Gradually beat in sugar.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Beat in sour cream and vanilla.
- Beat in dry ingredients, alternating with the mashed banana.
- Divide mixture evenly between 3 cakepans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes ut clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans on racks 10 minutes.
- Turn cakes out onto racks and cool.
- Place 1 cake layer on a platter.
- Spread 3/4c cream cheese frosting (to follow) over top.
- Spread 1/2 of the mango curd (to follow) over the frosting.
- Top with 2nd cake layer, spread with 3/4 c of frosting and remaining mango curd.
- Top with 3rd cake layer.
- Spoon 3/4 c of the frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Spread remaining frosting around sides and over top of the cake.
- Pipe frosting around top edge of cake.
- Arrange mango slices around top edge of cake, garnish with mint.
- Cream Cheese Frosting----------.
- Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the sugar.
- Cover and refrigerate until firm enough to spread, about 15 minutes.
- Mango Curd----------.
- Puree first 4 ingredients in processor, scraping down sides of work bowl.
- Add yolks, puree 15 seconds.
- Strain through sieve set over a large metal bowl, pressing on solids with back.
- of spatula to release as much puree as possible.
- Discard solids in sieve.
- Set metal bowl over medium saucepan of simmering water.
- Do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water.
- Whisk puree until thickened and thermometer registers 170F, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from water.
- Whisk in butter, 1 piece at a time.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
I tried this recipe as the first cake I made from scratch. I was expecting this cake to be so fantastic and beautiful, but it didn't turn out that way. I'm not sure i messed up the banana cake part, but the cake turned out very dry and hard. Also, when I made the layers of frosting then curd, the curd oozed out onto the plate making it so there was barely left on the inside of the cake layer. It is a possibility I could have done something wrong there as well, but I followed the directions and recipe very carefully. The frosting was absolutely amazing, however. I will definitely make this cake again leaving the curd and frosting the same, but using a banana bread recipe rather than the banana cake given here.