Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a dense, deliciously spicy fruit bread! Because of the mango chunks, slicing can be difficult so I usually cut the bread in half lengthwise and then cut horizontally into "bars" much like brownies. The apricots complement the mango, and the walnuts and coconut add texture.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large mango, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup minced dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, beat together the butter, oil and sugar until light and fluffy (sometimes I just do this by hand instead of using the mixer; the mixture is less airy, and the bread becomes more dense and rich).
- Stir in the egg, then the vanilla.
- Blend this mixture into the flour mixture.
- Now fold in the mango, apricots, walnuts and coconuts; do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan, then bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.