Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Originally found this in a chicken cookbook, wish I could remember the name. Changed up the dressing a bit. This makes a lovely entree on a hot summer night.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 mangoes, cut into 1/2 inch by 1 inch pieces
- 12 lychees, quartered (canned work fine)
- 2 red peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 4 -6 cups green lettuce leaves
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt or 1⁄2 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 pinch cumin
- black pepper
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes and put in a large bowl with mangoes and lychee nuts.
- Add red peppers to a pan of simmering water for 1 minute to blanch; remove from heat, rinse and drain.
- Add the peppers to the bowl with chicken and fruit.
- Combine all ingredients for dressing in a second bowl; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You can do the steps above earlier and finish the salad off just before serving.
- Combine the chicken, peppers and fruit with the dressing.
- Create beds of lettuce on serving plates; scoop dressed salad into the center of the plate.
Great dressing and the salad was excellent. Can't think of a thing needed to improve it.
We enjoyed this salad very much! I did omit the lychees though and doubled the complete recipe to serve 5 people, also I did reduce the lemon juice slightly. thanks Toni!...Kitten:)
Chicken and mangoes and red peppers: YUM! When mangoes are in season, I just cannot resist a recipe such as this. Apart from serving this salad on a bed of baby spinach leaves instead of lettuce and using my favourite creamy - NOT so low-fat - Greek yoghurt, I made this exactly to the recipe. Loved the orange and lemon flavours in the dressing and the dill (I used fresh dill) and the cumin. I served this with kbzhansen’s amazing Deep Fried Garlic Deep Fried Garlic. Thank you for sharing another wonderful low-fat recipe, toni. It's one I'll be making a few more times while mangoes are still looking and tasting so fabulous.