Mommy Diva's Note:
A delicious looking recipe I found but haven't tried yet -- submitted for ZWT3. Times are estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large mango, ripe but firm
- 1 large banana, ripe but firm
- 1/2 cup coconut, shredded sweetened
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 -3 dashes ground ginger (generous, to taste)
- 12 spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- dusting icing sugar
- 1 cup mango puree (see below)
- coconut (optional) or ginger ice cream (optional)
- 2 kiwi fruits, peeled and sliced (optional)
- 1Pour enough oil into a medium-size deep frying pan to reach at least 2 inches (5 cm) in depth, but no more than one-third up side of pan.
- 2Place 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar in a shallow dish.
- 3Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- 4For 2 different fillings, peel mango and slice fruit from pit.
- 5Slice flesh into matchstick-size pieces. Place in a medium-size bowl.
- 6Peel banana and slice into matchstick-size pieces.
- 7Place in a separate bowl; Add 1/4 cup (50 mL) coconut and 1 tablespoon (15 mL) each of granulated and brown sugar to each filling.
- 8Stir ginger into mango filling, tasting and adding a little more, if you like, and cinnamon into banana filling.
- 9Place 6 spring roll wrappers on a counter. Cover remaining with a damp cloth.
- 10Dividing mixture equally, spoon mango filling onto 1 top corner of each wrapper. Tightly roll corner toward centre to partially enclose filling.
- 11Once you reach centre, fold in sides to cover filling.
- 12Continue tightly rolling up wrapper to form a small log.
- 13To seal, brush seam with egg white.
- 14Repeat with banana filling and remaining wrappers.
- 15To fry rolls, place pan with oil over medium-high heat and heat to 350F (180C). Carefully slip 2 to 3 rolls into hot oil. Donýt overcrowd.
- 16Fry, turning once or twice until golden brown, from 2 to 3 minutes.
- 17Once browned, immediately remove rolls to paper towel-lined sheet.
- 18Blot dry, then immediately roll in granulated sugar until lightly coated. Place on a tray.
- 19Repeat with remaining spring rolls.
- 20To serve, slice a warm mango spring roll in half on the diagonal.
- 21Place a whole banana spring roll on a dessert plate.
- 22Set a half of mango roll on its end beside banana roll.
- 23Place other half on banana roll.
- 24Sift a little icing sugar overtop.
- 25Drizzle mango purée around rolls.
- 26Add a scoop of ice cream and a few slices of kiwi, if you like.
- 27Repeat with remaining spring rolls.
- 28MANGO PUREE: Purée pulp of 1 mango in a food processor with 1/4 cup (50 mL) water. Add lime juice or sugar to taste. If too thick, thin with water.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mango and Banana Spring Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (2126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 761.2
- Calories from Fat 676
- Total Fat 75.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.7 mg
- Sodium 53.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 16.6 g
- Protein 1.6 g