Recipe by JenSmith
This recipe comes to you courtesy of Manfred Sobek, chef/owner of "Hold the Pickle" restaurant in Bantam, CT. I got this recipe from the John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds catalog. This sounds yummy.
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 lb swiss cheese, sliced
- 4 ounces alfalfa sprouts
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, puree
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's brand preferred)
- 4 hard rolls or 4 hoagie rolls or 4 slices bread
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the basil mayonnaise, combine ingredients, then spread on bread.
- Stack sliced tomatoes on each bottom slice of bread and top with sliced red onions.
- Thoroughly wash and dry freshly picked spinach. Lightly saute the spinach and garlic in olive oil until just half wilted. Season iwth kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Mound the spinach on top of sliced onions and tomato and top with Swiss cheese slices.
- Warm in a hot (350F) oven or under a broileruntil cheese starts to melt.
- Top with alfalfa sprouts, cover with top slice of bread and serve warm.