Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From "The Complete Greek Cookbook" by Theresa Karas.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb beef stew meat or 1 lb lamb stew meat
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce or 1 tablespoon tomato paste, instead
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon spearmint, flakes
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup orzo pasta (manestra)
- 1 cup grated mizithra cheese
- Heat oil in large saucepan and brown meat and onions for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add tomato, seasonings, and 2 cups water.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender.
- Add remaining water and bring to a boil.
- Add manestra (orzo).
- Stir once or twice.
- Simmer 20 minutes more.
- Serve hot with grated cheese.