1/6 Photos of Mandelspritzgebäck (German Christmas Almond Cookies)
I can't remember a single holiday season without this typical German cookie recipe. My Mom and my mother-in-law bake these cookies. As a child we helped bake them, and the fun part for us kids was always to "style" the cookies. I prefer them with any icing or decoration.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven (375°F, 190°C).
- 2Grease baking trays.
- 3Mix butter with sugar until creamy. Add egg and egg yolk and mix until foamy.
- 4Add almonds and a few drops oil of bitter almonds.
- 5Add flour (mixed with baking powder) little by little and mix. The dough should be elastic, but will not be smooth.
- 6Fill in the dough into a cookie press with big star nozzle or better into a meat grinder with a big star nozzle.
- 7Make/press dough strings of about 2 to 3-inches. Form dough strings into rings, "S", horseshoes or any other shapes you like and place on baking tray.
- 8Bake for about 12 minutes. Cookies should still be light.
- 9NOTE: Oil of bitter almonds: if you can't find it, use almond extract.
- 10NOTE on cookie press: the dough is elastic but not smooth. So using a simple icing bag could be difficult. I use a meat grinder with a special cookie star nozzle. You can use a suited cookie press.
- 11NOTE on custom yield: I really can't give the correct custom yield. But the amount will make several baking trays. Baking time is given for one tray.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mandelspritzgebäck (German Christmas Almond Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (25 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 50
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.4
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 21.4 mg
- Sodium 20.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
bitter almond oil