Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'm posting this for a recipe request. I have not tried it.
- 2 3⁄4 cups sifted all-purpose flour (about)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar (scant)
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped blanched almond
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat eggs and sugar together until light.
- Add remaining ingredients in order given and blend well.
- The dough should be soft.
- With floured hands form 2 long loaves about 3 inches wide and 3/4 inch high on a well floured board.
- Bake in long narrow pans or on greased cooky sheets in moderate oven (350F) until lightly browned, 40 to 50 minutes.
- While still warm cut ito 1/2 inch slices and return to oven to toast until browned, or brown quickly under broiler flame.
German Biscotti! Who Knew! Wow, these are wonderful I had two and put the rest in the freezer or I don't think that any of the 19 cookies I got would make it till dark. That right, 19 and I'm not at all unhappy with that. I made this lovely recipe a bit more diabetic friendly for myself by using 3/4 cup of EggBeaters and using only 1 TBS of sugar (for baking properties and completing the rest of the scant 1 cup with Splenda. The subs worked perfectly. I got nicely raised, golden logs (I used an EggBeater wash before baking). The lemon and almond is delish (used almond extract). Oh yes, I toasted the slices for 7 mins which was enough to dry them but not darken the lovely golden color. Two thumbs up!