Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
i got this recipe from tv food network. cooking time includes 3 1/2 hrs of cooling time.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil or 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped natural almonds
- lemons, zest of or orange zest
- other kinds nuts
- almond extract
- cinnamon sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In an electric mixer beat eggs well and then add and beat well the oil, sugar and vanilla.
- Sift together salt, flour and baking powder, add to egg mixture and beat until just incorporated.
- Add nuts and any other additions at this time, fold in but dont over-mix.
- The dough will be sticky, refrigerate for a few hours or longer, if needed.
- Coat hands with flour and then divide dough into thirds and shape each into long rolls 3 inches wide on a cookie sheet.
- They can be left straight or shaped into half moons.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a little golden.
- Remove from the oven, slice into 1/2-inch slices with a serrated knife and return to cookie sheet.
- Either lay them flat on the cookie sheet or stand them on their ends.
- They may be sprinkled with cinnamon sugar at this point.
- Return to the oven and turn off the heat.
- Leave them in oven until oven cools or overnight.
- The longer one leaves them in the oven the harder they will become.
These are excellent cookies. They taste like butter cookies but even better. I did not sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar on, and they were excellent without it. I substituted toasted walnut pieces for the almonds just because I had them in the house. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Thanks, Chia!