Recipe by RenMyr
Have been making these for so many years. My family loves them. The amount of baking powder may seem excessive, but it works. From a very old cookbook. Enjoy.....!
- 2 3⁄4 cups sifted all-purpose flour (about)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped blanched almonds or 1 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix and sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat eggs and sugar together until light.
- Add remaining ingredients in order given and blend well.
- The dough should be soft.
- With floured hands form 2 long loaves about 3 inches wide and 3'4 inch high on a well floured board.
- Bake in long narrow pans or on greased cooky sheets.
- Moderate oven.350 degrees until lightly browned, 40-50 minutes.
- While still warm, cut into 1/2 inch slices and return to oven to toast until browned or brown quickly under broiler flame.