Recipe by mollypaul
Lovely at teatime or with your morning coffee. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Baking time approximate.
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 3⁄4 cup flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water, icy cold
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar, for the top of the cake
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease an 8 x 8 inch pan and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Beat eggs and sugar thoroughly.
- Add water and lemon extract; beat hard.
- Add sliced nuts and flour, beating lightly until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan, sprinkle sugar evenly on top and bake until golden brown.
- Allow cake to cool in pan before cutting into slices.