Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
Scandinavian cookie, delicious! Posted for Zaar World Tour II '06
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7 ounce) package almond paste
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 cup water (for paste mixture)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- egg wash
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk and orange zest.
- Add flour, don't over mix. If the dough is too crumbly, add a little water.
- Chill the dough until firm enough to roll out.
- Combine prepared almond paste with egg white.
- If the paste is too hard to mix, grate it into the egg white and add enough water to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- After the dough is chilled, roll out dough nice and thin.
- Cut the dough into 3-inch strips. Gather extra dough, repeat until dough is used up.
- Spread almond paste mixture on dough, leaving 1/4-inch free at the top edge. Gently roll up the dough, and place on a cookie sheet, refrigerating until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove chilled dough from the refrigerator. Slice roll into 2-inch pieces, and arrange these on the cookie sheet, leaving a little room for spreading.
- Slice each 2-inch roll every 1/4-inch or so from the top down leaving about a 1/4-inch uncut at the bottom.
- Gently pull down the ends to form a crown shape. Brush each cookie with an egg wash, and sprinkle with almonds. If you prefer, use pearl sugar, for a glittering effect.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until pale golden in color, remove and cool.