Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The original Jewish biscotti. Great dunked into coffee, perfect gift for Chanukah!
Make and share this Mandel Bread (traditional Jewish holiday cookie) recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, , almonds,or pecans
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F.
- Beat eggs, add sugar and oil and mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Refrigerate dough for several hours or overnight.
- On heavily floured surface, shape into 3 narrow loaves.
- Bake on floured sheet for 20- 25 minutes.
- Slice diagonally while hot.
- Place slices on greased and floured sheet and toast for 2 minutes per side at 450°F.
I have made these cookies several times and they always come out real nice. I have several biscotti recipes but I like this one best because it calls for very little sugar compared to the others. I also use olive oil for a lower fat content.
Made this for a party tonight. Very tasty, a big hit! Thank you.
I love any biscotti type of cookie and these are really nice. I made mine vegan so my DH could enjoy them to. Thanks Mirj, for a great recipe!