Recipe by Manda
This salsa is the best!! I have tried many salsa recipes, and this one tops the charts! I don't add jalapenos, but if you like it HOT, go for it!
Top Review by Sweet PQ?
I make a version of this salsa, but I omit the cumin. I use 2 onions and the pepper (red or green) is an option. I also pour mine into small canning jars - the heat of the salsa causes them to seal (remember proper canning precautions) or process in a water bath 5 minutes.
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, diced into small pieces,about half of the liquid drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 stalks celery, diced (leaves, and all)
- 1⁄4 cup diced green pepper, , or more to your liking
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 diced jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar (I use 1/8 c. cider and 1/8 c. white)
- 1⁄2 limes, juice of or 1⁄4 cup ReaLime juice (fresh is better)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried cilantro leaves (, more or less to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In med.
- saucepan, combine all ingredients, except garlic.
- Bring to boil, stirring.
- Add minced garlic, mix, reduce heat and simmer 45 min.
- ,stirrring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- Makes approx.
- 4 c.
- of salsa.