Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I had a craving for some black bean and corn salsa, so I went to work...and came up with this fresh tasting, colorful, and low fat creation that has the added bonus of scaring away any vampire within at least 20 miles (and co-workers who share the lunchroom!!/LOL!!) You can alter the amount of garlic, but I LOVE IT!!! You may also add jalapenos if you like heat. Serve with tortillas, use as a topping for tacos or burritos, or add to a fresh green salad.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces frozen corn, thawed
- 1⁄2 green bell peppers or 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 purple onion, diced
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained (optional)
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of (or may use whole lime)
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl and mix well, adjusting seasonings to preference.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour to let flavors blend.
- Mix again before serving.
I was looking for a salsa to go with the quesadillas I made for dinner tonight and this is the one we went with. I made a couple of changes, using lemon juice instead of lime and adding more cumin and chili powder. I liked it but thought it needed a bit more zing, it was a bit bland. I'm going to let it sit overnight and see how it tastes tomorrow.