Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is another recipe I got from my friend, Martha. It takes the ordinary Mandarin Spinach Salad to a whole new level! Great for lunch, a shower luncheon, or a light dinner with some crusty bread and a glass of chilled white wine! Add some grilled chicken to make a heartier meal.
For the salad
- 1 (1 lb) package Baby Spinach
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh bean sprouts, washed and drained or 1 (16 ounce) can bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, rinsed, drained, and sliced
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange segments, drained
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, washed and sliced thin
- 8 slices bacon, fried crisp and drained
- 1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
For the dressing
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare dressing process all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor until well blended.
- Place spinach in a large bowl.
- Add next 6 ingredients and toss to mix.
- Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with the sliced avocado.
- Just before serving, toss with dressing and serve.
- If you're in a hurry, a Catalina dressing may be used.