Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a sweet and salty soup, for low sodium leave out the soy sauce, but it will not taste the same (somewhere on here is a recipe for low sodium soy sauce). This soup reheats and freezes well.
- 4 large fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 skinless chicken thighs, and fat removed
- 6 cups water
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot or 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 scallions, diced
- 1⁄2 cup snow peas, destringed and cut into thirds
- 1⁄2 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- Snap the stems off the mushrooms. Reserve the caps.
- Put the stems in a pot with the garlic, chicken, water, and leek, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Strain the stock, discard the vegetables, and set the chicken aside.
- Put the stock back in the pot. It will have been reduced by about one-third, do not add water.
- Take the chicken off the bones and cube it, add it to the pot.
- Add the ginger, soy sauce, scallions, snow peas, bean sprouts, pepper, and sherry to the soup.
- Slice the mushroom caps and put them inches.
- Puree the mandarin oranges and add them to the pot.
- Bring the soup to a gentle simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, check the seasonings add more pepper add soy sauce if needed.