Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Times are guesses. This recipe comes from Sue Ruchel's "Windfalls: Preserves and other country kitchen secrets".
- Peel the mandarins and cut the peel finely with scissors.
- Tie finely shredded peel in a muslin bag.
- Wash and roughly chop the lemons and grapefruit.
- Put the mandarin segments and chopped fruit into a bowl.
- Cover with water, place the bag of peel in with the fruit and leave to soak overnight.
- The next day boil all until the fruit is soft and the liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove the bag of peel after 20 minutes.
- Pour all the fruit through a jelly bag, leaving it to drip awhile, then squeeze it to get all the juice.
- Discard the pulp.
- Add the sugar to the juice, stirring the sugar until it is dissolved, then add the peel from the muslin bag.
- Boil all together until setting point is reached.
- Allow to stand, then stir the peel evenly through the mixture.
- Bottle and seal.